April 20th, 2011 by Wiltrichs under Painting

Something I have been working on recently in between painting some Praetorians ;)

Raven Guard Shadow Captain Korvydae

Korvydae
Korvydae
Korvydae
Korvydae

Really pleased with how he has turned out. A big thanks to Daz for his critique and tips along the way, it helped a lot :)

Here is a link to the thread for Korvydae in the discussion area:

Discussion Thread Link

Auction and voting links:

CMON Link

Auction Link

W.

6 Responses to “Raven Guard Shadow Captain Korvydae”

1. kajh said on April 21st, 2011:

Holy crap – nicely done Wil! Love the face tones in particular – looks really effective.

I’m assuming the wolf skulls are your doing? :) Any WIP shots?

Lovely mini.
    Cya
    Andrew.

• Wiltrichs said on April 21st, 2011:

Cheers Andrew, no everything is as it comes from FW, just a straight paint job on this guy :)

2. Munger said on April 24th, 2011:

Very nice, very striking mini.

What is your receipt for the bronze hammer? I start off with tin bitz but always seem to go wrong somewhere along the line and it looks stupid or unrealistic where as your bronze looks amazing.

3. Sam said on April 26th, 2011:

brilliant mini will well done the face is incredible.

4. robertsta said on April 29th, 2011:

very very nicely done Will! Can you explain to me please how you did the face? that would be very very appreciated as Im ok with bright colors, but I cant paint ‘natural’skin tones like that, thats just awesome!

Cheers and keep up da works (ps, any clue on your
    GD project?)

5. Wiltrichs said on May 4th, 2011:

Thanks everyone! Sorry I haven’t replied earlier it was my birthday last week and I’ve been away for a few days on holiday. :)

@Robertsta – Hey Robert, I wanted quite a pale face for Korvydae so I used the same mix that I used on my Lord Zhufor a few years ago. Here is how I did it:

I gave the face a basecoat of bleached bone and scorched brown (3:1). I then gave the face a wash of watered down scorched brown and chaos black. Once that was dry I re-applied the basecoat. Next I highlighted by adding more bleached bone to the basecoat mix for a few layers. Then I added skull white to the mix for another couple of layers. To finish off I washed some regal blue around the lower part of the eyes and some scab red and bleached bone on the bottom lip. Finally after all that was done I painted in the eyes and teeth etc.

@Munger – Hey munger, the bronze hammer was a basecoat of dwarf bronze, then I gave the whole area a couple of washes of devlan mud. For the highlights I started with a mix of chainmail and dwarf bronze then went up to pure chainmail. I put some very weak purple and turquiose glazes over it to tie it in with the other metallic areas on the mini. Hope that helps. :)

I’ll add these to the tutorial section on here when I get time, with some stage by stage photos.

Sorry Robert no clues about my GD entry just yet mate. :D

I was hoping to get 2 or 3 entries done this year but I don’t know if that is still manageable with only 5 months left. Once they are well under way I may stick up some sneek peeks on here for everyone to see what you all think.

Wil :)